You might wonder what the point of my reminiscing is. Well I got to thinking about it recently for two reasons. First is I still have the scar a year later. It’s not very noticeable but I can feel a bump there. Second was the subject of a recent bible study. We were studying the life of David. The point was brought out that the good seeds David sowed early in his life he reaped the fruits from after he became king. Then the bad seeds that he sowed soon after that he began to reap later in life. It reminded me of my scar. We cannot take back our actions and many times they leave scars with us for the rest of our lives. Many times young people are told to sow their wild oats while they are young. But it is when they are older that they look back with sorrow on those wasted years. Just like the man in John Pipers book they look back over their lives and say “I’ve wasted it”. They regret those decisions they made that have now left their mark. Let this be our motto “No Fears, No Regrets”. (And be careful in barns)
Sunday, November 8, 2009
One Year Ago
Last year in September my family moved up here to Iowa to live near my grandparents since my grandma had cancer. We purchased an old farm house and began renovating it. That’s the same house that we are currently finishing the drywall in. It’s taken a lot longer than we thought it would. Anyway while we were working on it we stayed with my grandparents. Soon after we got there some of my brothers and I went to explore their barn. They had a lot of stuff in there. Odds and ends and stuff like that. Well as boys are expected to we soon began messing around. You know a mix between hide and seek, Cowboys and Indians, and stuff like that. Well one brother was in the loft and another brother and I were trying to roust him out of there. Well I discovered a spot in the first floor ceiling (and the loft floor) that had rotted out. It was the perfect route for a surprise attack! I slowly and silently began climbing up through the hole. Well to make a long story short I ended up getting hit on the head with a metal pole. I immediately dropped to the first floor and lay there stunned for a little while. I put my hand to my head and when I brought it down saw blood on my hand! Needless to say we went to the ER. I got three stitches (which they charged an arm and a leg forJ) and soon went back home. For getting the stitches taken out we decided not to go back to the hospital. My uncle is a nurse in the military and was home on leave at the time so he took them out for me. A pair of tweezers and nail clippers did the trick. Below is a pic of me with the stitches and one of my uncle taking them out. I must say since then I’ve only been in that barn a few times and never for fun.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Daniel.
ReplyDeleteI, too, have a scar on my forehead on the right side. I got it from disobeying my mom when I was around six years old (about 13 years ago). She told me not to run in the grocery store, but I did anyway. I tripped and fell head-on on the grocery cart. After that, we were well known there! The grocery store is gone, but I still have the scar which is about the size of a dime. It is a constant reminder to me to obey! *smile* "There's no sense in making mistakes if we don't learn from them."
~Cheyne